Immigration Documents

The information on immigration is now available on the Immigration section of the Université Laval website.

Additional information to help you fill in your immigration documents 

For assistance or more information about your immigration documents, take advantage of our student advising service.

Getting to a border crossing

Every year hundreds of students cross the border to obtain Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) documentation. This section will help you navigate the process and get to the nearest port of entry. The border information service at Armstrong is open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (midnight).

This service is offered in every Canadian Ports of Entry, but some have more limited opening hours:

What documents can you obtain at ports of entry to Canada?

Post-graduation work permits and certain other work permits for internships and post-doctoral positions can usually be obtained at a canadian port of entry.

Crossing the border to ask for an immigration document

To enter the United States: If you hold a valid American visa or an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization), the border services officer will let you enter the U.S. and turn right back around.

If you come from a Visa Waiver program country and do not have an ESTA, you will be required to complete the paper I-94W form and pay the related fees.

If you are not authorized to enter the United States, you will, in most cases, be allowed to withdraw your application to enter the U.S. and be authorized to leave the U.S. to return Canada.

In all cases, explain to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer that you wish to «flagpole» to get a Canadian immigration document.

Coming back to Canada: If you hold a valid work or study permit, you won’t need a visa or eTA (electronic travel authorization) because you will visited the United States only briefly and will be entering Canada by land.


  • Take the time to carefully explain the purpose of your visit to both countries’ officials.
  • If you are travelling with someone not legally authorized to enter the United States, ask this person to wait in the parking lot on the Canadian side of the border. You can then cross on foot.
Getting to the border

Taking the bus

Autobus Breton runs two to three buses daily from Gare de Sainte-Foy, the bus station near the university, to Saint-Georges-de-Beauce. Round trip student tickets cost around $35. The Saint-Georges-de-Beauce bus station is about 45 km from the border. You will then have to pay approximately $65 (round trip) for the taxi between Saint-Georges and the border and about $40 an hour for the taxi to wait for you. The local taxi service is Taxi du Pont (418-227-7777).

By car

Distance: Approximately 300 km round trip
Time: Approximately 4 hours round trip

  • From Université Laval, head west on Boulevard Laurier (toward the malls)
  • Take the exit for Autoroute Henri IV S (73 S)
  • Follow the signs for Autoroute 73 S/Autoroute 20/Pont Pierre-Laporte
  • Cross the bridge (Pont Pierre-Laporte)
  • Stay in the centre lane and, once off the bridge, follow the signs for Autoroute 73 S
  • Continue on 73 S for about 90 km
  • When 73 S ends, at the roundabout, turn right onto 127e rue (route 204 O)
  • After 400 meters, turn left onto 127e rue
  • After 2 km, turn left on Boulevard Lacroix (4e avenue/route 173 S)
  • Follow 173 S for approximately 45 km until you reach the U.S. border


The websites and allow you to find other people going to the border, share the ride and save money.

As for the destination, write either “Armstrong, QC, Canada”, the name of border crossing, or “Saint-Théophile, QC”, the name of the nearest Canadian village.


If you’re a passenger and you see that other passengers are looking for the same trip, you can communicate and even rent a car together.

Renting a car

Québec City has a number of car rental companies. The biggest are Avis, Budget, Discount, Enterprise, Hertz, and Sauvageau. Always compare prices before renting.