Immigration documents


Before planning your trip to Canada, make sure you meet the requirements to be allowed to travel to Canada. Have a close look at the “International Students: All you need to know” page to get all the information you need for your trip to Canada.

To study in Canada, you must have the proper immigration documents. These documents must be obtained prior to your arrival in Canada. If you come to Université Laval without the appropriate authorizations, you won’t be able to register for your courses.

Don’t forget to accept the admission offer to receive the official admission offer by email and allowing you to begin your immigration procedures.

To support you in this regard, we invite you to visit our website which will guide you through each step and inform you about the rules governing your stay in Canada as a foreign student.

Visit University Laval Immigration website. Our website also has information about:

  • Working in Canada during your studies
  • Mandatory health insurance
  • Procedures to get the authorization for any family member wishing to come with you
  • Biometrics

When required to prove you have been admitted to Université Laval, use the offer of admission (definitive or conditional). Students who are admitted to a Université Laval degree granting program will find the offer at their Université Laval email adress ( Exchange students will receive the offer at the at their personnal email adress. It is strongly recommended that these steps be taken as soon as possible.

Below is a brief list of immigration documents required depending on the length of your stay:

Program or exchange that runs for 6 months or more

  • Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
  • Study permit
  • Temporary resident visa or Electronic Travel Autorisation (obtained automatically along with the permit)

Program or exchange that runs for less than 6 months

  • Temporary resident visa or Electronic Travel Autorisation (eTA). American citizens are exempt from the obligation to get either of these documents in order to enter in Canada.

More information on applications for study permits, eTA and visa: Immigration and Citizenship Canada

More information on Quebec Acceptance Certificate: ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion

To have a look at the documents you must have with you when entering Canada:

You have questions? Contact our International Student Advisors by e-mail at