Renewing Immigration Documents


Before planning your trip to Canada, make sure you meet the requirements to be allowed to travel to Canada. Have a close look at the “International Students: All you need to know” page to get all the information you need for your trip to Canada.



On November 14, 2019, the Québec government issued a decree formalizing the announcement made on November 8 to suspend the changes to the Programme de l’expérience québécoise [Québec experience program] (PEQ) that had been in effect since November 1. With this, the Programme de l’expérience québécoise has become active once again with the rules that were in effect before November 1, 2019.

For the PEQ graduate stream, this means that the list of areas of study has been removed and that all graduates who have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD and who meet the program criteria can apply for a CSQ through the PEQ once again. For the PEQ worker stream, the list of eligible jobs has also been removed.

To make it easier for you to access useful information, we have compiled the main answers to the most frequently asked questions in an online, ever-evolving Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page at


Additional information to help you fill in your immigration documents 

These documents have been written by International Student Advisors who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council. The information herein is valid at the moment it has been written.

For assistance or more information about your immigration documents, take advantage of our student advising service.


Getting to a border crossing



Every year hundreds of students cross the border to obtain Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) documentation. This section will help you navigate the process and get to the nearest port of entry. The border information service at Armstrong is open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. (midnight).

This service is offered in every Canadian Ports of Entry, but some have more limited opening hours:

What documents can you obtain at ports of entry to Canada?

Post-graduation work permits and certain other work permits for internships and post-doctoral positions can usually be obtained at a canadian port of entry.


If you have not already provided your biometrics before coming to Canada, you will need to do so if you apply for a work permit at a port of entry (border). In addition to the fees for your work permit application, you will also be charged a fee of 85$ for the biometric. However, please note that it is not possible to provide your biometrics at the border if they are related to an International Experience Canada (IEC) work permit application.

Crossing the border to ask for an immigration document

To enter the United States: If you hold a valid American visa or an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization), the border services officer will let you enter the U.S. and turn right back around.

If you come from a Visa Waiver program country and do not have an ESTA, you will be required to complete the paper I-94W form and pay the related fees.

If you are not authorized to enter the United States, you will, in most cases, be allowed to withdraw your application to enter the U.S. and be authorized to leave the U.S. to return Canada.

In all cases, explain to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer that you wish to «flagpole» to get a Canadian immigration document.

Coming back to Canada: If you hold a valid work or study permit, you won’t need a visa or eTA (electronic travel authorization) because you will visited the United States only briefly and will be entering Canada by land.


  • Take the time to carefully explain the purpose of your visit to both countries’ officials.
  • If you are travelling with someone not legally authorized to enter the United States, ask this person to wait in the parking lot on the Canadian side of the border. You can then cross on foot.
Getting to the border

Taking the bus

Autobus Breton runs two to three buses daily from Gare de Sainte-Foy, the bus station near the university, to Saint-Georges-de-Beauce. Round trip student tickets cost around $35. The Saint-Georges-de-Beauce bus station is about 45 km from the border. You will then have to pay approximately $65 (round trip) for the taxi between Saint-Georges and the border and about $40 an hour for the taxi to wait for you. The local taxi service is Taxi du Pont (418-227-7777).

By car

Distance: Approximately 300 km round trip Time: Approximately 4 hours round trip

  • From Université Laval, head west on Boulevard Laurier (toward the malls)
  • Take the exit for Autoroute Henri IV S (73 S)
  • Follow the signs for Autoroute 73 S/Autoroute 20/Pont Pierre-Laporte
  • Cross the bridge (Pont Pierre-Laporte)
  • Stay in the centre lane and, once off the bridge, follow the signs for Autoroute 73 S
  • Continue on 73 S for about 90 km
  • When 73 S ends, at the roundabout, turn right onto 127e rue (route 204 O)
  • After 400 meters, turn left onto 127e rue
  • After 2 km, turn left on Boulevard Lacroix (4e avenue/route 173 S)
  • Follow 173 S for approximately 45 km until you reach the U.S. border


The websites and allow you to find other people going to the border, share the ride and save money.

As for the destination, write either “Armstrong, QC, Canada”, the name of border crossing, or “Saint-Théophile, QC”, the name of the nearest Canadian village.



If you’re a passenger and you see that other passengers are looking for the same trip, you can communicate and even rent a car together.


Renting a car

Québec City has a number of car rental companies. The biggest are Avis, Budget, Discount, Enterprise, Hertz, and Sauvageau. Always compare prices before renting.