Telephone, Internet, and Cable Services
Here’s what you need to know to make calls in Québec:
- For $0.50, you can make a local call on a public phone with no time limit.
- If you use a landline, you can make unlimited free local calls (unlimited in number and talk time).
- A phone number is considered local if it has 10 digits (area codes 418-and 581, e.g., 418-656-2765).
- A long-distance call within North America has 11 digits and is not free (e.g., 1-418 or 1-514-XXX-XXXX).
- Calls to phone numbers with the area codes 1-900 and 1-976 are billed at a higher rate.
- Calls to phone numbers with the area codes 1-800, 1-866, 1-877, and 1-888 are toll-free.
- When calling off campus from a Université Laval phone, you must always dial 9.
- For international calls, you must first dial 011, the country code, and then the regional or city code before the phone number.
- Three-digit numbers are used to access free services, for example the list of local community resources (211), directory information (411), Info-Santé health information (811), and emergency assistance (911).
Certain providers specialize in long-distance calling and offer competitive rates for service using your existing telephone line.
Here is a list of a few such providers:
On campus, you can also purchase long-distance calling cards at the Chez Alphonse convenience store in the Maurice-Pollack building.
On-campus Internet access (WiFi)
Université Laval offers free access to the Eduroam wireless Internet network to all registered students. Internet access is available from anywhere oncampus and in most Université Laval off-campus buildings.
To connect to the WiFi:
- Choose the Eduroam network
- Enter IDUL@ulaval.ca
- Enter your password (PIN)
Cell phone service
Before you purchase a cell phone or activate a phone brought from your home country, check with a number of companies to compare prices.
Once you choose your service provider, you have two options:
- Use prepaid cards to reload your account directly
- Sign up for a monthly plan that:
- Usually requires a 12 to 24–month contract
- Come with a limited number of minutes (unless you sign up for an unlimited plan)
- Offers add-on features like caller ID, voicemail, unlimited text messages, andInternet at additional cost
- International calls are usually not included in monthly plans (even those that offer unlimited calling) and are charged by the minute.
- You will be charged for inbound calls and messages (unless you sign up for an unlimited plan).
- Taxes and emergency 911 service charges are not included in the plan price.
Main services providers
|Cell phone||Home phone||Internet||Television|